Day 1 Part 2 - State Fair Blog done (Sponsor's Name Here)-style

Fox 6, James family, My-Sugar-Na, State Fair, Television, West Allis, Vier Pogo Squad 51

(Side note; I had planned to post this last night, but I fell asleep in the recliner and, well, you know.)

This story actually begins on Wednesday, April 21st.  My-Sugar-Na's beloved Vier Pogo Squad 51 had attended doggy day care, as he does every Wednesday.  Since this particular location is about six blocks from my office, I am the dropper-offer and picker-upper.  Wednesday, April 21st was as routine as ever.

Until about 11:00 PM.  Vier Pogo Squad 51 began hacking and wheezing.  When it wouldn't go away, My-Sugar-Na (the doting mother that she is) took him to the Milwaukee Emergency Center for Animals at 1:00 AM.  $400 later, Vier Pogo Squad 51 was diagnosed with a form of kennel cough.  Some antibiotics, cough syrup and a short time later, he was back to full health.

Routine Wednesdays resumed after a three-week break until (and you can see this one coming, can't you?) this past Wednesday he started hacking again.  Figuring it was some sort of recurrence, I didn't let My-Sugar-Na panic him to the ER, instead we called his own vet yesterday afternoon.  They had the ER send over the report and I was elected (in a one-person race, if you catch my drift) to take personal time off of work to take him in.

The end result is that kennel cough is similar to the common cold, in that once you have a particular strain you become immune to it, but there are numerous strains of the virus that all present the same way.  More antibiotics and cough suppressant are on board and he should be fine.  Thanks for your implied concern.

All that story did was set up that my return from the vet was at about 3:30 PM, and our yard was full (well, almost full... the kids aren't quite as good at squeezing the cars in there).  So where I had expected to be waving cars in, I got a jump on my relaxation. 

(Sponsor's Name Here)'s Official Son, Mitten, got home from work and announced his intention to meet some friends at the Fair, so hit the pantry to find two non-perishable food items so that he could enter the Fair for $2.00.  I found four potential winners.  A box of macaroni and cheese, a box of Jell-O butterscotch pudding, a can of turkey broth and a can of cranberry sauce (not the jelled kind). As I am taking an inordinate amount of time to consider WWMSND, he is admonishing me to hurry up because 5:00 would soon be here.  Soon, the little scamp was sent on his way with the turkey broth and cranberry sauce.

Right about the time that Mitten left, a car left our yard, and soon another.  My time to shine!  Except that with the Food-and-$2 promotion ending at 5, there really wasn't a lot of new traffic.  On one hand, we stayed outside for awhile just to enjoy the less humid air and breeze (darn it, there went a third car).  We lowered our price to $3 instead of $5 and were able to fill the three spots pretty quickly.

Total for Day 1 - 15 cars (a new Day 1 record) and also a record revenue.

Mitten came home about an hour later when one of his friends had to leave suddenly as his mom had a medical emergency, and since the friend was the driver, the entire group left the Fair.  Mitten did state that you drop off the food at the bucket before 5:00, then got a voucher that you would turn in at the ticket window.  He said that it was easy dropping off the food, but it took him close to 15 minutes in the ticket line.

(Sponsor's Name Here)'s Official Step-daughter, Sloppy also went to the Fair last night and was told to be home by 10:00 PM.  As I am dozing in and out of consciousness, I woke up right at the start of the 10 PM news and heard about the Sky Glider stopping.  At this point, I am not sure if Sloppy was home or not, but I figured that it would be our luck that she was stuck at the top of the thing, and the ensuing argument about not contacting us about being late could keep me up all night and negate the naps I had been taking.  It was all for naught, however, as I heard her stomping around the kitchen soon afterwards.

It must have been a slow news day, however, as Channel 58's news seemed obsessed with the Sky Glider stopping.  Now generally, I prefer Channel 58's news as they are less stupid than the other stations (one finger is pointing right at My Friends and another finger is Touching TMJ4.)  But 58 kept throwing it out to the ditz at the Fair with this Breaking News.  But its not like there was a motor on fire that threatened to snap a cable and bring all the cars crashing down, or a severe thunderstorm approaching and these people might get caught in.  At worst, it is a black eye for the State Fair, but it rated nothing more than "Hmmph" to me.

So with all of that happening on Day 1, I can't imagine what might happen on a Friday that promises to be in perfect weather.

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools