The West Allis-West Milwaukee School District will purchase a seven-story building at 1205 S. 70th St. for $3.7 million and put two more of its buildings on the market.
District officials say they want to consolidate programs and facilities to save money. In addition, administrators believe the building will generate additional revenue, with money received from rent projected to offset operating costs by almost $300,000 per year, according to a report to the School Board.
Current tenants on the first three floors are Milwaukee Area Technical College, which has corporate learning and mortuary sciences programs there, and the state of Wisconsin, which houses the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and the Department of Health and Family Services. MATC and the state will continue to use the building and will pay rent to the school district.
The 94,000-square-foot building was built in 1958 and originally served as an Allis-Chalmers office building.
It is the second old Allis-Chalmers office building the district has purchased this year, the first being a structure a block away at 1135 S. 70th St. for $1.3 million.
When the school district moves in to the facility, the recreation department, business services, technology department and a host of other programs and departments will have a new home.
To finance the purchase, the district administration building at 9333 W. Lincoln Ave. and the former Roosevelt Elementary School at 932 S. 60th St. have been put up sale. The Parkway Recreation Center and two pieces of vacant land already are on the market.
Until those buildings are sold, the district will use its operating fund balance and line-of-credit borrowing to fund the purchase, according to the report.
The School Board unanimously approved the purchase last week.
- Suburban Milwaukee Now websites to get new look, realignment
- 1940s radio noir comedy to cap Village Playhouse season in West Allis
- West Allis Police blotter: July 28, 2016
- West Allis rechecking pay to ensure market rate compensation, fairness
- Race for Wisconsin's 6th District Senate seat heats up
- It's 'Curtains' for West Allis Players presenting murder and music
- Nathan Hale High School tuneful summer musical set at high school
- West Allis Police blotter: July 21
- In brief, July 7: Gun control, gourmet store, home for the poor
- West Allis bans e-cigarette smoking where tobacco smoking is banned