The last place you'd expect to find chickens roaming freely is outside a sandwich shop that serves chicken sandwiches.
According to the Greenfield police report:
That was the case Sept. 10, when a caller reported three chickens were running through the parking lot at Subway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue at about 4:30 a.m.
Police found four chickens there, apparent escapees from a yard in the 4700 block of South 60th Street.
The owner was contacted but wasn't too interested in re-cooping his chickens at that hour. But police were able to corral the chickens with the assistance of Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.
Police advised the city health department about the code violation, and the owner was given a copy of the city ordinance prohibiting chickens.
- Suburban Milwaukee Now websites to get new look, realignment
- 1940s radio noir comedy to cap Village Playhouse season in West Allis
- West Allis Police blotter: July 28, 2016
- West Allis rechecking pay to ensure market rate compensation, fairness
- Race for Wisconsin's 6th District Senate seat heats up
- It's 'Curtains' for West Allis Players presenting murder and music
- Nathan Hale High School tuneful summer musical set at high school
- West Allis Police blotter: July 21
- In brief, July 7: Gun control, gourmet store, home for the poor
- West Allis bans e-cigarette smoking where tobacco smoking is banned