The long-vacant Chalet restaurant in the Six Points neighborhood will be demolished this summer.
The property, 6215 W. National Ave., received a "raze or repair" order from the city's Building Inspections and Neighborhood Services Department due to a series of code violations, Development Director John Stibal said.
The property owner did not make the necessary repairs and the city received court orders to demolish the building, he said.
The building footprint will be graded and seeded and the existing pavement areas will remain. The city will not take ownership of the property, Development Department officials said.
The building has been vacant since 2006. The Common Council in March 2009 approved a proposal for an American/Chinese restaurant, but the business never materialized.
Right across the street from the Chalet restaurant is the Paradise Theater, another building that has received raze or repair orders. City and elected officials are still mulling the future of the 81-year-old building, in the heart of one of the biggest redevelopment areas in West Allis.
- Suburban Milwaukee Now websites to get new look, realignment
- 1940s radio noir comedy to cap Village Playhouse season in West Allis
- West Allis Police blotter: July 28, 2016
- West Allis rechecking pay to ensure market rate compensation, fairness (1)
- Race for Wisconsin's 6th District Senate seat heats up
- It's 'Curtains' for West Allis Players presenting murder and music
- Nathan Hale High School tuneful summer musical set at high school
- West Allis Police blotter: July 21
- In brief, July 7: Gun control, gourmet store, home for the poor
- West Allis bans e-cigarette smoking where tobacco smoking is banned