Oct. 11, 2011

Faulty dehumidifier blamed for house fire

An investigation of an Oct. 5 house fire has traced the cause of the blaze to a recalled dehumidifier in the basement of the home.

Police and fire officials responded to the fire in the 4400 block of South 31st Street at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 5. When police arrived at the residence they witnessed black smoke coming through the screen door and the chimney. After the building was cleared by the fire department, police investigated the basement area where the fire apparently started. The fire was traced back to a circuit breaker for a GE dehumidifier that was recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in January 2011 due to a possible fire hazard.

The homeowner was given the recall notice and various contact numbers. The fire caused about $10,000 worth of damage to the residence.

Most Popular


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries