Greenfield - For the second straight season, the Whitnall Youth Basketball Club's sixth-grade Blue team won its division of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship.
Team members are Daniel Alexopoulos, Padraic Brannon, Sean Damro, Tyler Herro, Philip Karnes, Will Kegel, Andrew Mallmann, Lucas Merritt, Joey Tilley and Daniel Wolff. The head coach is Chris Herro and the assistant coach is Zac Mallmann.
All of these boys attend Whitnall Middle School. This team has started playing competitively in third grade and many of the boys started playing for the YMCA or Upward in first or second grades.
Building on last season's success, the sixth-grade boys played outstanding team basketball and beat every team by 12 points or more over the course of the entire tournament.
A total of 86 teams competed in the sixth-grade division at the tournament, which was played in the Green Bay area.
For the first time in the club's history, Whitnall had boys teams invited to compete in every grade level from fifth through eighth grades of the Wisconsin State Invitational.
- Lack of varsity experience hurt Greenfield baseball team this season
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Slow finish to season drops Whitnall baseball team to just above .500
- Greenfield baseball team's season ends at hands of New Berlin West in regional
- Whitnall baseball team posts 1-3 mark in string of close contests
- Strong pitching helps lift Greenfield baseball team to two victories in Woodland Tournament
- Greenfield's Matthias puts finishing touches on brilliant pitching career in softball
- Bauer, Cimler, Sutton teamed up to boost Whitnall softball team to new heights
- Clutch hitting helps Whitnall baseball team complete three-game Woodland sweep
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in 0-3 week