West Allis - A new head coach will lead the West Allis Hale boys basketball team in its continuing quest for a Greater Metro Conference victory.
John Palesse takes over for Kenny Bosch, who presided over five non-conference triumphs last season as Hale finished 5-18.
The Huskies made some strides a year ago, and Palesse is hoping to build upon that, including Hale's first GMC triumph in four seasons.
"We have to learn how to win," Palesse said. "We have played well for three quarters but cannot finish the game."
He said if the Huskies can improve on defense, they will start winning conference games.
Hale returns a pair of all-GMC players in 6-foot, 1-inch senior forward Travis Balcerzak and 6-0 senior forward Derrick Waller. Balcerzak averaged 13.5 points last season, while Waller put in 11 per contest.
Balcerzak made second-team all-conference, while Waller earned honorable mention. Both are in their third varsity seasons.
Another veteran is 6-1 senior forward/guard Nick Sotiros, who is in his fourth season on varsity and should provide leadership on both offense and defense.
Other seniors are point guard Peter Heal, Steve Acker, Jacob Geiger, post player Arthur Arena and Cole Lampe. Juniors are point guard Noel Crabtree, Devon Kopet, Aaron Cronin, Jordan Riche, Alex Ulrich and Ryan Best.
Palesse said the Huskies have some players with strong varsity experience and some athleticism, and he likes the team's work ethic.
He said Brookfield Central, Sussex Hamilton and Brookfield East are the favorites for the GMC title this season.
Hale begins the season at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at Cudahy. The first conference contest is Dec. 7 against Marquette.
- West Allis Central freshman pitchers offer Bulldogs hope for future seasons
- Kling pitches two-hitter as West Allis Hale baseball team downs Whitnall in regional
- West Allis Hale baseball team mired in losing string in GMC Tourney
- Lack of clutch hitting, mistakes hurt West Allis Central baseball team in four defeats
- Whitnall baseball team sweeps Shorewood, loses to Eisenhower in Woodland Conference
- West Allis Central baseball team rallies past Nicolet for second victory of season
- Struggling West Allis Hale baseball team victimized by opposition's big innings
- Sports Notes: June 30, 2016
- West Allis Hale baseball team experiences tough times during busy week
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016