Greenfield - After opening the Woodland Conference season with a resounding 72-30 romp over St. Francis, Whitnall's boys basketball team downed a foe from the always-strong Milwaukee City Conference.
The Falcons dropped Bradley Tech, 57-52, on Saturday morning in the Fresh Coast Classic at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Austin Hurst led a balanced attack with 16 points, while Sam Mentkowski added 14 points, Nathan Schaefer nine points and Brent Sluka eight points. Both Mentkowski and Sluka connected on a pair of 3-point field goals.
Whitnall nursed a one-point lead into the fourth quarter, then outscored Tech 13-9 to gain the victory.
The Falcons dominated their Woodland game against St. Francis on Nov. 20, breaking to leads of 17-9 after one quarter and 38-16 at the half.
Hurst again was the leading scorer, this time with 12 points. Trenton Coleman and Mentkowski each put in 10 points and Sluka eight for Whitnall, which placed 11 players in the scorebook.
All together, it was a nice bounce-back week for the Falcons, who had opened the season with a disappointing 22-point loss to Waukesha West.
Whitnall welcomes rival Greenfield (0-2 going into this week) at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30 in another Woodland contest. The Hustlin' Hawks lost two games last week by a combined seven points.
The Falcons then host Cudahy (1-2) at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4. The Packers posted their first victory of the season when they beat the Milwaukee School of Languages, 50-41, behind 20 points from Tyler Fricke.
- John Rech
- Lack of varsity experience hurt Greenfield baseball team this season
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Slow finish to season drops Whitnall baseball team to just above .500
- Greenfield baseball team's season ends at hands of New Berlin West in regional
- Whitnall baseball team posts 1-3 mark in string of close contests
- Strong pitching helps lift Greenfield baseball team to two victories in Woodland Tournament
- Greenfield's Matthias puts finishing touches on brilliant pitching career in softball
- Bauer, Cimler, Sutton teamed up to boost Whitnall softball team to new heights
- Clutch hitting helps Whitnall baseball team complete three-game Woodland sweep
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in 0-3 week