South Milwaukee thrives in the clutch

March 1, 2013

Any basketball coach knows that often, the most crucial time of a game is the final minutes – and not just of the fourth quarter.

By closing any period on a strong note, teams can give themselves valuable momentum going into the next quarter as well as deal a psychological blow to their opponents.

The South Milwaukee girls proved that on Friday night in a WIAA Division 2 regional semifinal contest against Whitnall, winning the final minute of each of the first three quarters.

That proved to be a key to the Rockets’ 59-44 triumph.

South Milwaukee ended the first period with a 3-pointer from Samantha Page to take a 13-12 lead after trailing by four points just moments earlier.

t the end of the second, after a Whitnall turnover, Ellie Pusheck nailed a 3-pointer from the right corner to extend South Milwaukee’s advantage to 29-18 at the half.

Whitnall put on a strong rally in the third to come within two points, but the Rockets responded with five straight points from Pusheck. They were up 36-31 when Brittany Bruck made a key play to end the quarter.

The Falcons were working for the last shot of the period when they lost the ball, and Bruck fired up a shot from near midcourt at the buzzer and drew a foul, then sank all three free throws to make it 39-31.

“That was crucial,” Whitnall head coach Keith Larson said. “I thought we could run the clock down and hit the last shot of the quarter. They got the ball at midcourt and we fouled (Bruck). She’s their leading free throw shooter, and she put all three of them down. That hurt.”

Those nine points in the three final minutes of the periods went a long way for the Rockets, who earned a date at New Berlin Eisenhower at 7 p.m. Saturday for a regional final contest.

There were other factors in the loss for the Falcons, who saw an eight-game winning streak snapped and finished at 15-8.

They were outrebounded by a resounding 36-15, and the Rockets hit 18 of 20 free throws, including 10 of 10 in the fourth period.

“Rebounding just killed us,” Larson said. “They beat us on the boards all night long. Most of the time, when you’re outrebounded like that, it’s tough to win a game.”

The Falcons certainly put forth a game effort.

Trailing 29-18 at the half, they opened the second half with eight straight points. Jackie Gruszka nailed a 3-pointer at the start, then Ashley Markowiak stole the ball near midcourt and went in for a layup to cut it to 29-23.

Markowiak hit a jumper and Rachael Shulta a free throw off an offensive rebound to make it 29-26 before Katelyn Bartlett netted two free throws for South Milwaukee.

Shulta swished a 3-pointer from the right corner to bring Whitnall within 31-29, but Pusheck put back a missed shot, was fouled and hit the free throw for a 34-29 edge.

Pusheck then connected on a jumper for a 36-29 lead. Markowiak answered for the Falcons, but Bruck then made her crucial free throws with no time left in the quarter.

In the fourth, Bruck added four more free throws and Emily Pusheck and Bartlett made baskets as the lead went to 49-36. The Rockets held on from there.

“Once we hit that deficit, it was too much,” Larson said. “Give them credit. They played a pretty solid game. They shot the free throws well and they shot the ball well.”

Markowiak finished with 16 points and Shulta 11 for the Falcons. Ellie Pusheck had 14 points for South Milwaukee.

Larson was happy with the Falcons, who overcame a number of injuries, illnesses and other setbacks this season.

“I was proud of the girls’ effort,” he said. “As people, as they go on, they’ll be better for what we went through. It was just unfortunate tonight; it just didn’t go our way.”

Most Popular




Latest Photo Galleries