Senior Brooke Charles made a bit of Greenfield girls swimming history on Saturday at the WIAA Division 1 State Meet in Madison.
Charles finished 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke with 1 minute, 8.86 seconds to earn the first Division 1 state point ever for the Hustlin' Hawks.
"When Greenfield was in Division 2," head coach Dale Schrank explained, "there were a number of swimmers who had advanced into the scoring in a number of different events.
"After being moved to Division 1, where qualifying is much harder, Greenfield had been shut out for over 10 years. Hopefully, we will now make this the pattern, rather than the exception."
Charles' teammate, freshman Claudia Kirkpatrick, narrowly missed scoring points, finishing 18th with 1:09.26 in the same event.
"She missed by less than 0.3 seconds," Schrank continued. "We are confident that by next season, Claudia could not only break into the scoring but might be looking forward to challenging for a spot on the podium as well."
The one point from Charles put the Hawks into a tie for 39th place at the state meet, which was won by Waukesha South/Mukwonago with 337 points.
The Hawks improved their fortunes under Schrank in the 2013 season, placing in the upper portion of several invitationals, winning a couple of Woodland Conference duals and finishing fifth in the Woodland Meet.
"All things being considered, I think it has been a great start to turning the Greenfield program around," said Schrank, who will now turn his attentions toward the highly-successful Greenfield/Greendale boys team. "I am looking forward to the next season with the girls at Greenfield."
- Lack of varsity experience hurt Greenfield baseball team this season
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Slow finish to season drops Whitnall baseball team to just above .500
- Greenfield baseball team's season ends at hands of New Berlin West in regional
- Whitnall baseball team posts 1-3 mark in string of close contests
- Strong pitching helps lift Greenfield baseball team to two victories in Woodland Tournament
- Greenfield's Matthias puts finishing touches on brilliant pitching career in softball
- Bauer, Cimler, Sutton teamed up to boost Whitnall softball team to new heights
- Clutch hitting helps Whitnall baseball team complete three-game Woodland sweep
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in 0-3 week