Central baseball team wins two, breaks into double digits in victories
Bulldogs pocket two more triumphs
A big landmark was reached last week in the West Allis Central baseball team's long march back toward winning baseball.
The Bulldogs beat Pius XI 3-2 in nine innings on July 11 and Wauwatosa East 3-0 on July 9 in Greater Metro Conference tournament play to improve their season record to 11-19.
That represents a four-game increase from last year's final mark of 7-24 in head coach Dean Mlachnik's first season with the squad.
"We haven't had double-digit victories in a season since 2008," Mlachnik said. "We feel good about things. The kids are confident and we are playing our best baseball at the end of the season."
Bulldogs met Hale
Central took on rival West Allis Hale for the fourth time this season on July 15 in a WIAA regional contest.
The winner meets Oak Creek at Abendschein Park at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, July 18, in a regional championship game.
The regional winner goes to Greendale at 3 p.m. on Monday, July 21, for a sectional semifinal. The sectional title game is at 7 p.m. that day at Greendale.
Central tallied three runs in the sixth inning to beat Tosa East on July 9. Jason Alvarez drove in two of the runs and scored the other, while Mike Manlick had the third run batted in and Kurt Mlachnik and Brandon Maglio scored the other two runs.
Dan Doyle pitched the complete game, allowing three hits with five strikeouts and two walks.
On July 11, Alvarez went 4-for-4 and brought in all three runs in the 3-2 victory over Pius. Manlick worked the full nine innings, striking out seven and walking two.
Central dropped the second game of a doubleheader to the Popes that day, falling 7-5.
Alvarez hot lately
Alvarez, however, had another big game and finished the two-game set 7-for-8 with four doubles and a triple.
"He is putting up all-state numbers lately," coach Mlachnik said.
The Bulldogs lost their other two GMC tournament games, falling to West Allis Hale 9-6 on July 10 and 6-1 to Marquette on July 8.
Central was missing three starters against Hale and fell behind 9-0, but battled back and had the tying run at the plate in the seventh inning.
"We were encouraged, because in the past, if we got down 9-0, we would have zero life," coach Mlachnik said. "This time, the kids believed, and they came back."
Alvarez went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and pitchers Leon Finney and Ryan Wisch combined to strike out nine and allow nine hits.
On July 8, the Bulldogs lost their third game this season to GMC champion Marquette.
- West Allis Central freshman pitchers offer Bulldogs hope for future seasons
- Kling pitches two-hitter as West Allis Hale baseball team downs Whitnall in regional
- West Allis Hale baseball team mired in losing string in GMC Tourney
- Lack of clutch hitting, mistakes hurt West Allis Central baseball team in four defeats
- Whitnall baseball team sweeps Shorewood, loses to Eisenhower in Woodland Conference
- West Allis Central baseball team rallies past Nicolet for second victory of season
- Struggling West Allis Hale baseball team victimized by opposition's big innings
- Sports Notes: June 30, 2016
- West Allis Hale baseball team experiences tough times during busy week
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016