Hale girls basketball
Erin Barbeau led a balanced attack with 14 points as the Huskies downed Milwaukee Hamilton, 50-28, on Dec. 27 for their second victory of the season.
Sarah Mueller added eight points and Jennifer Stawicki and Kara Placzek had six points apiece as Hale improved to 2-5 for the season.
The Huskies were outscored 13-10 in the first quarter but blanked the Wildcats 11-0 in the second period for a 21-13 lead. They then outscored them 15-3 in the third quarter to take control.
Hale did not fare as well one night later in a 63-34 loss to a strong Cudahy squad. Jennifer Jender tallied a team-high nine points and Deven Hanzel contributed six points for the Huskies.
Greater Metro Conference play resumes this week as Hale visits Wauwatosa East at 7:30 p.m. Friday. The Huskies then welcome Slinger of the Little Ten Conference at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 10.
Donald Dargan at 126 pounds, Nate Keaton at 132 and Brian Smith at 152 all went 7-0 for the Bulldogs at the Northern Exposure Tournament in Merrill Dec. 28 to 29.
Tere White (106), Eric Vis (160) and Angel Orozco (220) all finished with 6-1 marks for Central, while Skyler Pedersen was 4-1 at 120 while sharing the spot with Mark Choinski (1-1).
Hunter Schuettke (182) also posted a winning record at 4-3.
The Bulldogs won five of seven duals, beating Menomonie, 49-21; Waterford, 41-25; Rosholt, 66-12; Clintonville, 63-9; and Medford, 46-16 while losing to Two Rivers, 38-30, and Bay Port, 37-29. Those were Central's first dual losses of this season.
Central claimed first place in its bracket at the two-day tourney.
The Bulldogs now welcome Brookfield Central at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
Jack Allen finished sixth at 170 pounds for the Huskies at the Oshkosh Lourdes Tournament Dec. 29.
Allen finished 5-3 for the tournament, losing in the quarterfinal and then twice in consolation play to take sixth. Dallas Wanta came in ninth at 220 pounds with a 6-2 record.
Going 3-2 were John Baltz (106), Micho Gruichich (145), Taylor Tomczak (160), Andrew Buelow (182) and Jeremy Shimetz (195).
The Huskies tallied 96 points for 19th place in the massive 56-team field. They visit Brookfield East at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
Central girls basketball
The Bulldogs found the going tough at the Milwaukee Vincent Tournament Dec. 27 to 28.
They fell to Vincent, 64-57, in the first contest and Dominican, 53-35, in the second game. Mehryn Kraker tallied 23 points against Vincent, with Jenny Wildes adding 10 and April Wildes eight. Claire Hankins led the way against Dominican with 15 points, while Kraker put in 14.
Central (1-2 in the Greater Metro Conference and 1-8 overall going into this week) welcomes Divine Savior Holy Angels at 7:30 p.m. Friday in a GMC game.
- Compiled by John Rech
- Greenfield, Whitnall, West Allis Hale and West Allis Central Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- West Allis, Greenfield and Whitnall Sports Shorts: June 2, 2016
- Whitnall, Nathan Hale, West Allis Central and Greenfield High School Sport Shorts: May 26
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sport Shorts: May 12, 2016
- Sport Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sport Shorts: April 28, 2016
- Sport Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Sport Shorts: April 14, 2016
- Sport Shorts: March 31
- Sport Shorts: March 3, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 25, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 18, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 28, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 21, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 14, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 7, 2015
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 31, 2015