Milwaukee, WI , April 18, 2011 — With a creative spirit and paint brush in hand, eighth grader Shay Groth of West Allis, spent an afternoon with other Girl Scouts from southeastern Wisconsin to create and paint designs on rain barrels that will be raffled off by the Friends of Boerner Botanical Gardens (FBBG). The proceeds from the raffle which will be held on May 15 are going towards the Garden’s Children’s Plant Science programs. Sixteen girls from the Girl Scout s of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) council designed and painted the barrels as a community action project for the national Girl Scouts Forever Green initiative .
“The national Girl Scouts Forever Green initiative is a community action project that engages, educates, and empowers girls to take the lead in developing and implementing sustainable initiatives to decrease the environmental footprints of their schools and communities,” said Andrea Yanachek, Outdoor Program Manager for GSWISE.
The rain barrels will be on display at the Boerner Botanical Gardens gift shop through May 15 . Boerner Botanical Gardens is located at 9400 Boerner Dr., Hales Corners. Raffle tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. Call 414-525-5666 for more information.
Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast serves over 28,500 girls in grades K through 12 in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha County. Girl Scouts is the pre-eminent development organization and leading authority on girls’ healthy development.
# # #
For additional information about the Girl Scouts organization, contact Kristie Arciszewski, Communications/ Public Relations Manager, at 800-565-GIRL (4475) or email@example.com.
- Cat Network 1st Annual Brat Fry
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- ERBERT & GERBERT’S OPENS AT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Melinda Myers to Present Twice Daily at The Wisconsin State Fair
- Rogers Behavioral Health to Host Job Fair on August 11
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?