The Dancing Irish
Dancing at Lughnasa is an Irish tale of family, friendships and wartime troubles. It's heavy in culture and jokes, but also in its heart-wrenching topics. There's death, illegitimate children, romance and plenty of bickering between siblings. Even though it would be challenging to get high school students to convey these topics, the play beat out all it's competitors. The tryouts for the show were tough; there were only eight spots available, yet forty kids vied for their place in the spotlight. The lucky ones who were chosen are all veterans of the Nathan Hale Stage.
Senior Rebecca Trudell, one of the assistant stage managers, claims that Dancing at Lughnasa is “a different show with a talented cast.” If you need more convincing, you could find it in Ms. Seccombe, the retired Nathan Hale French teacher. She’s returned to the halls she once roamed to assist the director, Robb Smith, with the show. Ms. Seccombe made the comment that "we have a good group of kids; they showed us how much they wanted this." They did so by fighting tooth and nail to get their roles, and even now they have to work hard to keep them. The biggest challenge is the Irish dialect they’ll have to speak; “it’s the biggest leap these kids have made,” Ms. Seccombe says, “they all spoke in a British dialect for [last year’s production of] My Fair Lady.” If you’ve ever juxtaposed a British and an Irish accent, you’d realize just how much of a difference there are between the two.
So, what can you expect from Nathan Hale's production of Dancing at Lughnasa? Plenty of laughs, a few tears, a simple set, amazing accents, and fellow students transformed from American teenagers to aged Irish men and women who live in the 1920's.
Dancing at Lughnasa
November 10-13th 7pm
Novmber 14th 2pm
- Cat Network 1st Annual Brat Fry
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- ERBERT & GERBERT’S OPENS AT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Melinda Myers to Present Twice Daily at The Wisconsin State Fair
- Rogers Behavioral Health to Host Job Fair on August 11
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?