Alverno Presents Sexy Results: Cedar Block’s Dig for the Higgs and How the Quest was Won
It’s a new-fangled variety show that tells the story of one man’s love of science, the trash-talking particle accelerator that broke his heart, and the much-theorized Higgs Boson particle that will answer the Big Question – that’s right -- Life, The Universe, and Everything.
An Alverno Presents commission, “Sexy Results: Cedar Block’s Dig for the Higgs and How the Quest was Won,” is an evening-length mash-up of rock, spoken word, artist installations and video that takes place Saturday, February 18th at 8 p.m. at the Turner Hall Ballroom. Single tickets are $15.00, and may be purchased through the Alverno Presents Box Office at 414-382-6044, on-line at http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu, or through Turner Hall at http://pabsttheater.org/show/cedarblock2012.
The hypothetical Higgs Boson particle should answer the question of what gives particles mass, lending credence to everything else that goes into the standard model of physics. It's proved elusive through 30 years of experiments, and the first physicist to find it will be guaranteed a Nobel Prize.
Cedar Block wants that Nobel Prize, but they're going about it a little differently. In the tradition of Monet and Cezanne, they expect to make the discovery through art. Specifically, Cedar Block is corralling Milwaukee- and nationally-based musicians, installation artists, and filmmakers to find the elusive Higgs at Turner Hall. Even if they don't, they're still putting on an awesome show.
Alverno Presents, the performing arts series of Alverno College, is celebrating its 52nd year. The series has innovated beyond our history as the longest running, continuous arts presenter in the city, to our niche of presenting contemporary dance, world music and jazz. Alverno Presents shares the school’s mission by ensuring broad access to and participation in learning, experiencing and developing the arts for the learning community of Alverno, and our community as a whole. For more information on Alverno Presents, special projects, media reviews and more, visit alvernopresents.alverno.edu, contact Alverno Presents Director David Ravel at 414-382-6150, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cat Network 1st Annual Brat Fry
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- ERBERT & GERBERT’S OPENS AT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Melinda Myers to Present Twice Daily at The Wisconsin State Fair
- Rogers Behavioral Health to Host Job Fair on August 11
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?