David Zambrano’s Soul Project begins spontaneously. The music starts and dancers emerge from the audience, moving to a sublime live recording of a vintage soul singer - Aretha Franklin, Ike & Tina Turner, Bettye Lavette, Gladys Knight & The Pips - following their own movement quest to embody the dance as deeply and powerfully as the singer reveals the song. Zambrano’s Soul Project will have two performances on Saturday, April 14th at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. at the Todd Wehr Conference Center (1047 North Broadway Ave., on the campus of Milwaukee School of Engineering.
Soul Project, conceived and directed by the legendary David Zambrano, in collaboration with a cast of seven remarkable performers from Mozambique, Slovenia, Greece, Slovakia, the U.S. and Venezuela, simultaneously creates a sense of heightened perception and grounded physicality. Designed to be performed in an open space, Soul Project is a series of virtuosic solos, each lasting the length of a song. The order of the solos and their location in the space is a function of chance, making each night's performance unique.
Throughout the work, the audience is invited to mingle, get close to the cast, and witness the dance from any angle they choose. All at once the experience is intimate and personal--you can feel every tremble and sigh of the performers' bodies--and communal, as together with the rest of the audience you anticipate the next dancer and the next song, and share in the discovery once it begins.
Single tickets are $32.50. Tickets may be purchased through the Alverno Presents Box Office at 414-382-6044 or on-line at http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu.
Alverno Presents, the performing arts series of Alverno College, is celebrating its 52nd year. The series has innovated beyond our history as the longest running, continuous arts presenter in the city, to our niche of presenting contemporary dance, world music and jazz. Alverno Presents shares the school’s mission by ensuring broad access to and participation in learning, experiencing and developing the arts for the learning community of Alverno, and our community as a whole. For more information on Alverno Presents, special projects, media reviews and more, visit alvernopresents.alverno.edu, contact Alverno Presents Director David Ravel at 414-382-6150, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar